Admission to SF State
You have several advantages when applying to SF State through the American Language Institute (ALI). You can:
- Receive two possible TOEFL waivers to meet SF State’s English proficiency requirements
- Receive either TOEFL waiver without completing the highest ALI level
- Apply to the University after SF State published deadlines have passed
- Receive assistance with the application process from ALI International Student Advisors
- You must receive Conditional Admission, which means your academic records (transcripts) have been evaluated and you have met the minimum requirements to apply to SF State.
You can request a “Letter of Conditional Admission” from SF State when you apply to the ALI, or after you arrive at the ALI, with the Conditional Admissions Service form below. A “Letter of Conditional Admission” is not a guarantee of admission to SF State.
- You must meet ALI level and placement test requirements.
- You are able to apply to undergraduate, non-impacted majors after the published deadline during our semester of study at the ALI.
- You can be admitted to SF State undergraduate, non-impacted programs with either ALI TOEFL Waiver.
- You must apply to your program by the published deadlines.
- You must meet all published English language requirements (no TOEFL Waiver).
- You can apply to your SF State program during the published application periods. (See the More Information tab.) However, if you have a lower English level, you may want to wait until after you begin studying at the ALI to apply to SF State.
- If you are eligible to apply through the ALI, you will receive help with applying after you begin studying at the ALI.
- For impacted SF State programs, you may have to apply before you arrive at the ALI.
For more information visit these links:
- International Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Baccalaureate Degrees
- High Demand & Impacted Programs
SF State Application
Deadlines, Requirements & Admission
ALI cannot guarantee SF State graduate or undergraduate deadlines, requirements and admission. These deadlines and requirements could change and affect an ALI student's eligibility to apply to SF State.