English + University Credit Studies
Level 90 Gateway is the highest English level in our English for Academic Preparation curriculum. Gateway allows you to develop your language skills at the American Language Institute (ALI) and take an academic class at San Francisco State University.
In Gateway you will:
- Improve your English and academic skills for university success
- Take an SF State course for credit
- Receive support to understand and complete your university course assignments
- Offered in spring and fall
- Level 70: Must pass ALI Level 70 classes with a B average and have minimum TOEFL ITP 475, TOEFL iBT 53 or IELTS 6.0
- Level 80: Must pass ALI Level 80 classes with A, B or C grades. There is NO TOEFL or IELTS score requirement
- Direct admission with minimum score of TOEFL iBT 61 or IELTS 6.0 within last 24 months OR
- Admission based on ALI level placement speaking and writing assessments and minimum TOEFL ITP 500
- New students must attend orientation
Dates & Tuition
|Session||Program Dates*||Program Weeks||Apply After||Application Fee||Tuition**||Health Insurance**|
|Fall 2023||August 14, 2023 - December 15, 2023||17||January 31, 2023||$100||$5,995||$780|
|Spring 2024||January 22, 2024 - May 24, 2024||17||July 25, 2023||$100||$5,995||TBA|
*Includes placement testing, TOEFL ITP, orientation and one-week fall break with no classes.
**Fees are subject to change.
Tuition (ALI + SF State)
ALI Tuition + SF State (3 unit) Open University Tuition = $5,995 (subject to change)
Students can take an additional SF State course for $395 per unit (subject to change).
Curriculum & Schedule
- Gateway Skills (8 hours of instruction a week)
- English Tutorial (4 hours of instruction a week)
- ALI Elective (4 hours of instruction a week)
- College Success Skills (2 hours of instruction a week)
- One SF State course (3 units) through Open University
Schedule (Subject to Change)
|8 a.m. - 3 p.m.||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class|
|3 p.m. - 4:50 p.m.||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Tutorial|
|5 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||Tutorial||College Success Skills||Tutorial||College Success Skills||-|
|6 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||-|
|8:50 p.m. - 9:40 p.m.||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||-|
Global Business Communication Skills – This topic is delivered as Global Business Communication Skills I and II. The two CEU courses are designed to prepare students for a successful job or internship search and the professional skills needed to excel in this internship or job. These classes are not required for the certificate but strongly encouraged enrichment options if you are planning to apply for graduate school, Optional Practical Training (OPT), an internship or a job.
- All federal and local COVID-19 guidelines will be followed.
- Students will follow current COVID-19 guidelines.
- To ensure student, faculty and health and safety online classes may be occasionally scheduled during regular class times throughout the term as needed.
- Our campus is committed to being a welcoming and safe environment for international students and will work with you to ensure you are eligible to attend.
What Students Say
“Gateway has both the function of helping students improve their English skills and helping students prepare for entry into American universities. My experience shows that ALI has done this… This semester I have an SF State Communication Studies course. At present, all my grades are A, and I know that the skills I learned at Gateway are very helpful to me. Gateway teachers provide tutoring for my university courses every week if I have any questions.”
Xin Wang (Amy)