Gateway: English + University Credit Studies
Gateway is our highest level, which allows you to develop your language skills at the American Language Institute (ALI) and take an academic class at San Francisco State University.
Fall 2021 In-Person Program on Campus
- 18 hours of English a week in classrooms and 1 - 2 SF State academic credit courses*
- Morning and afternoon class schedule
- First week including orientation will be Online
- Students are eligible for an F-1 visa and will be issued I-20s
*SF State academic credit courses will be available in person, hybrid or online.
In-Person Program and COVID-19
- All federal and local COVID-19 guidelines will be followed.
- Students will follow current COVID-19 guidelines and may have a quarantine period from the date of arrival to the U.S.
- To ensure student, faculty and health and safety online classes may be occasionally scheduled during regular class times throughout the term as needed.
- Our campus is committed to being a welcoming and safe environment for international students and will work with you to ensure you are eligible to attend.
Level 90 Gateway
- Improve your English and academic skills for university success
- Take an SF State course for credit
- Receive support to understand and complete your university course assignments
- Level 90 is the highest English level in our English for Academic Preparation curriculum
- Offered in spring & fall
- Level 70: Must pass ALI Level 70 classes with a B average and have minimum TOEFL ITP 475, TOEFL iBT 53 or IELTS 6.0
- Level 80: Must pass ALI Level 80 classes with A, B or C grades. There is NO TOEFL or IELTS score requirement
- Direct admission with minimum score of TOEFL iBT 61 or IELTS 6.0 within last 24 months OR
- Admission based on ALI level placement speaking and writing assessments and minimum TOEFL ITP 500
- New students must attend orientation
Fall 2021 Dates & Tuition
- Gateway: Wednesday, August 18 - Friday, December 10, 2021
- SF State Summer Semester: Monday, August 23 - Friday, December 17, 2021 (last day of finals)
- SF State Class Registration Information Meeting: Wednesday, August 18 and Thursday, August 19, 2021
- New Student Orientation: Monday,August 16, 2021
- New Student Orientation II and All Student Meeting: Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Tuition (ALI + SF State)
ALI Tuition + SF State (3 unit) Open University Tuition = $5,995 (subject to change)
Students can take an additional SF State course for $395 per unit (subject to change).
Fall 2021 Curriculum & Schedule
|Gateway Skills (8 hours of instruction a week)||August 18 - December 10, 2021|
|English Tutorial (4 hours of instruction a week)||August 18 - December 10, 2021|
|ALI Elective (4 hours of instruction a week)||August 18 - December 10, 2021|
|College Success Skills (2 hours of instruction a week)||August 18 - December 10, 2021|
|One SF State course (3 units) through Open University||August 23 - December 17, 2021|
Schedule (Subject to Change)
|8 a.m. - 3 p.m.||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class||Open time to take SF State Class|
|3 p.m. - 4:50 p.m.||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Gateway Skills Class||Tutorial|
|5 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||Tutorial||College Success Skills||Tutorial||College Success Skills||-|
|6 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||Open time to take SF State class||-|
|8:50 p.m. - 9:40 p.m.||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||ALI Elective||-|
Students enrolled in Gateway may be interested in the following CEU classes. These classes are not part of the Gateway program, but rather enrichment options to help you prepare for graduate school or future internships or jobs.
- Graduate School Preparation - Provides students interested in applying for graduate schools the knowledge, skills, practice and confidence needed to prepare competitive graduate school applications and interview well.
- Global Business Communication Skills - Designed to prepare students for a successful job or internship search and the professional skills needed to excel in this internship or job.
What Students Say
“Gateway has both the function of helping students improve their English skills and helping students prepare for entry into American universities. My experience shows that ALI has done this… This semester I have an SF State Communication Studies course. At present, all my grades are A, and I know that the skills I learned at Gateway are very helpful to me. Gateway teachers provide tutoring for my university courses every week if I have any questions.”
Xin Wang (Amy)
Gateway Cost and Length
When to Start: